Runnin'

Pakage

Yo, so I'm training for the Auckland Half Marathon in October. Everything's going well so far, I'm up to about 14km's, with 22km's being the goal.

Is anyone else out there into running and/or doing the Auckland half or full marathon?

I ran tonight with thermal leggings and a thermal long sleeve top on and i gotta say that it improved my performance quite a lot.

I do have a question, often my legs get quite sore for a few days after going for a long run. Is there anything i can do to try and speed up the recovery time? I do about a 5min warm up run, stretch, do my main run, do a 10min cool down walk and then stretch for quite a while afterward.

If its quite bad, i try go for walks on my lunch breaks to help stretch the legs and work out the tightness but I'm not quite sure what else to do.

Anyone got any pro tips?

discuss.

Edited by Guest

i've heard it's bad stretching before or during the run and to save it all til the end. who knows though everyone's got a different theory on shit like that. also, at the end what stretching do you do? most people just do calves and thighs, groin and hamstrings are key as well. i've never run 14km in my life though and i probably would be fucked for a few days if i did! surely if you keep it up the recovery time should start getting shorter.

I did the run for a team in the Auckland Half Ironman in 2008.

Ended up doing the run in 1hr 53m. It was a bitch of a thing, and I ain't really got any good tips...

I just trained for 2½ months and tried to run further each time I went for a run.

I was smoking a shit load of chop then too, so my motivation was to go for a run so I could go home and have a bong.

Pretty fucked when you think about it.

Good luck man!

^tehe nice one pat

i used to run between 8-10kms and used same method as you do craig..

thermals are key and so is stretching a few minutes into your run after your warm up jog is too..

i would have to think the sore legs are from the amount you have been running and the distance.. stretching on days you aren't running is very important to keep your muscles loose.. so stretch every morning and night if you haven't been doing so.

yeah good point. ill start doin some stretches on my off days too.

Do you think that it could also be a hydration issue? I usually keep pretty well hydrated through out the day and have a half a glass of water before i go, then scull a few glasses when i get back. I hate carrying a water bottle with me though and i havent found any drinking fountains on my route yet..

Another thing that ive heard is good for aching muscles from running is bananas for their potassium. Can anyone confirm this?

Another thing that ive heard is good for aching muscles from running is bananas for their potassium. Can anyone confirm this?

True.

Look at you Mr. First Post Cynic. Actually contributing to the thread now eh?

Sounds like you are not replacing your electrolytes (salt basically).

Have some salt and vinegar chips or something not to glutenous to help with your delayed onset of muscle soreness (DOMS) after a run. Also keep your glucose and glucase levels up as well.

Good luck with the training and the run.

Ah yeah, i know what you mean about the salts and that.

Do you think drinking some sports water after a run would be the go or should i really just replace those sugars and salts through my meals?

Well powerade and the other "pop" sports drinks do a good job, but a glass of Raro and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt does the same thing (with a rank taste). Either way so long as they are replaced you should be fine either way. Would suggest a replenishment about 1/3 to midway through your run as well, but usually drinks are served along the way in 1/2 to full marathons.

For those interested Electolytes are typically Sodium, Calcium, Potassium, Magnessium and Chloride (Sodium Chloride is table salt)

)"]
Ah yeah, i know what you mean about the salts and that.

Do you think drinking some sports water after a run would be the go or should i really just replace those sugars and salts through my meals?

Well powerade and the other "pop" sports drinks do a good job, but a glass of Raro and a 1/2 teaspoon of salt does the same thing (with a rank taste). Either way so long as they are replaced you should be fine either way. Would suggest a replenishment about 1/3 to midway through your run as well, but usually drinks are served along the way in 1/2 to full marathons.

For those interested Electolytes are typically Sodium, Calcium, Potassium, Magnessium and Chloride (Sodium Chloride is table salt)

if you are well hydrated before your run and have a banana about an hour before you should be well prepared. lots of re-hydration after ie powerade with another banana at the end.

mind you i haven't run over 12km in one go so i am unsure how well you can hydrate/prepare yourself for longer distances. either way being well stocked up on fluids is a necessity and having a banana has always helped me before running/basketball/football

what distance you up to now bro?

what distance are you up to now?

phew, just got back from 16kms!

I had a banana for afternoon tea today and bought a powerade for the run. I drank about 1/4 of it in the half hour before my run. Carried the rest with me and finished it off by about the half way mark.

Fuck i hate carrying a bottle.. i might buy one of those camel pack things.

Anyway, it seemed to work, when i did 14kms on tuesday my calves were cramping by the end. Today i did 2kms longer and i didnt cramp. We'll see how my muscles feel tomorrow. I will report back.

here's the route:

DAE use www.mapmyrun.com ?

been waiting forever to post this in response to something regarding electrolytes...shot craig

it was a straight to dvd release and by any standards not an amazing film but pretty funny and insightful.....welcome to the future..

try Creatine (Monohydrate i think) supplement.

Also some Yoga sessions mixed in with the running to improve muscle elasticity and circulation, taking oxygen to the deep tissue.

Both will help eliminate Lactic Acid(cause of tension/soreness a lot of the time).

Also, a weekly rub (not from those ad's in the newspaper). I have a good sports-physio if you want her number bro.

Umm, you say you're running in thermals. Are they sport specific or just polyprop ones?

You can get some decent training tights, (google CWX performance wear), which simulate blood flow, while supporting joints and muscles.

Good luck on the run. I tried running around Mount Albert, but my knees are fucked from years of skateboard and iceboarding abuse.