Your Favourite Japanese Anime

perceptualChaos

I have been meaning to start an anime thread for a while, but I previously hadn't been unemployed enough! Here are some of my favourites, in a few different categories:

Long running anime series(>2 years):

1. Naruto Shippuden

2. One Piece

3. Gintama

Short anime series (up to 2 years):

1. Samurai Champloo

2. Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex

3. Death Note

Movies:

1. Akira

2. Ninja Scroll

3. Tekkon Kinkreet

Ultraviolent Anime:

1. Shigurui

2. Elfen Lied

3. Claymore

Yeah I used to watch DBZ every day as well, but even then I used to cringe at the corniness and the epicly overextended fight scenes (1 month long Kamehameha against Frieza?), and the stupid special powers. I only kept watching it cause I was hooked and I didn't have access to anything better.

The original Dragon Ball series, when Goku is still a kid, is actually really good - the Japanese version anyway. Check out a few episodes from the link I gave last time.

• 1 month later...

For you DBZ fans, there's a recut version which has been playing in Japan for a while now called Dragon Ball Kai. It's remastered into HD aspect ratio, and recut to remove all the filler material so that it properly follows the original manga. It moves about twice as fast as the DBZ which we're accustomed to, so it's pretty much just one battle after another.

This is good if you like that kind of thing, but it really does have fuck all story other than increasingly stronger opponents appearing for the good guys to eventually triumph over. Recommend watching the original dragon ball first (in Japanese!), which as I've already said, I think is much much better. This new DBZ Kai is probably pretty sweet to watch in the background when you're blazed though.

Dragon Ball Z Kai - 001-026 [x264-AAC][Dual Audio]

For you DBZ fans, there's a recut version which has been playing in Japan for a while now called Dragon Ball Kai. It's remastered into HD aspect ratio, and recut to remove all the filler material so that it properly follows the original manga. It moves about twice as fast as the DBZ which we're accustomed to, so it's pretty much just one battle after another.

This is good if you like that kind of thing, but it really does have fuck all story other than increasingly stronger opponents appearing for the good guys to eventually triumph over. Recommend watching the original dragon ball first (in Japanese!), which as I've already said, I think is much much better. This new DBZ Kai is probably pretty sweet to watch in the background when you're blazed though.

Dragon Ball Z Kai - 001-026 [x264-AAC][Dual Audio]

would be keen, was watching dbz for a lil bit last night (first time since i was 13) and couldn't believe how much of it was filler. Having said that it was still badass.

I also like the original dragon ball more purely because it was more comedic but i'm def gona have a look for kai.

• 3 weeks later...

Is there still a lot of filler in the Japanese versions? I sorta remember there being much less than the European versions... it's been a while though... I thought the reason for all the filler was that they cut out so much of the gore in the European versions and had to fill up the cut out scenes with dialog

Yeah dude the Japanese version of DBZ still has all the same filler... Afaik the censorship in the dubbed version doesn't lead to any further incongruity between the Japanese and English dubbed episodes.

Filler is used in most anime in Japan to compensate for the fact that the anime runs faster than the manga. This is because one week in the manga doesn't contain enough material for a whole episode.

As I mentioned, Dragon Ball Kai is on TV in Japan atm and has all the filler cut out. It runs about twice as fast as the original Japanese DBZ series.

Just a few changes, but roughly the same as you Tim:

Long running anime series(>2 years):

1. Naruto Shippuden

2. One Piece

3. GTO (Great Teacher Onizuka)

Short anime series (up to 2 years):

1. Berserk

2. Neon Genesis: Evangelion

3. Death Note

Movies:

1. Princess Mononoke

2. Akira

3. Paprika

Ultraviolent Anime:

1. X (ultraviolent)

2. Demon City Shinjuku (or Wicked City/Monster City)

3. Hokuto no Ken (Fist of the North Star series)

Special mention to Dragon Ball (Z) though. It was definitely my gateway anime to more harder, stronger anime!

(Fuck Bleach is pooos now )

About time you put your list in... I'd been meaning to watch GTO, just started watching after you posted it - hilarious so far. Strictly speaking it's not a long running anime - but I guess we can let it go cause the manga ran for 5 years.

Surprised to see X on your list... I haven't seen the movie or read the manga, but the TV series was fricking lame IMO. Had potential but just turned into a convoluted piece of crap that never climaxed. Dunno if I'd call it ultraviolent either

Manga is awesome _b

Also check out Gantz the Manga, I would've put up Gantz as my first for ultra violent, but I can only strictly say that about the Manga. The anime had potential for ultimate epicness, but the producers intentions were, I think, a bit immature and I haven't really seen much past the 10th episode (think theres 2 seasons, but the 2 seasons only cover a small amount of the Gantz story. )

The Manga is still ongoing, and most recently the story has taken an epic twist, pretty much shits all over any other Anime/Manga's storylines in terms of ultracrazy / ultra violent.

EVERYONE GET ONLINE AND READ SOME GANTZ!!!

No particular order

Karas

Bleach

Ninja Scroll

Ikoutousen

Samurai champloo

Boondocks

Tengen Tupa Lagen

Ghost in the shell

Full Metal Alchemist

.hack

And everything from Studio Ghibli (esp steamboy)

Sprigan

Vampire hunter d

Elfen lied

so on and so forth