The unwitting war on vinyl

spec

What are we to do though? either make a fuss or adapt.

If you were to make a fuss to the average club owner, he would tell you to jog on and then go book a DJ that will happily spin some CDs... Even the promoters sometimes will get told exactly that if they are to stress to the club that they are intending on placing emphasis on vinyl (bass & sound, atmosphere etc).

When you think about it, there are 3 people, or groups of people, who can affect change (ignoring punters).

DJs, Promoters and Club management.

Ultimately I don't think it should come down to DJs (that said, you'd be stupid to not carry your own needles).

If promoters put on gigs at clubs where they KNOW the attitude of the management and or know of the state of the decks, it should be up to them to suss some decent ones.

I think bar the clubs where there is that "vinyl DJ" culture prevalent - and there's only a handful of those - most places aren't going to have a good set-up, and aren't likely to invest in one in this day and age either.

Therefore once again it's going to have to come down to promoters to step up.

If the gig is in-house DJ's should be letting the relevant people know that they aren't fucking happy. Of course it's a fine line because there are probably plenty of non-moaning non-vinyl DJ's around willing to step up.

I'll keep playing records to such time as I can no longer do so, which ultimately is going to mean moving to Ableton rather than CDs. If you're going to free yourself from the physical restrictions of a physical format, you might as well embrace all that digital dj'ing has to offer, rather than just Serato or CDJs.

Its defiantly true about clubs not caring so much about the state of their decks these days.

Most clubs in NZ don't even have turntables anymore full stop.. And as for the ones that do, well I could count on one hand how many of them have quality well-maintained decks..

I'll keep playing records to such time as I can no longer do so, which ultimately is going to mean moving to Ableton rather than CDs. If you're going to free yourself from the physical restrictions of a physical format, you might as well embrace all that digital dj'ing has to offer, rather than just Serato or CDJs.

Sadly, this.

Sadly, this.

The day this happens I will look liek this ->

In saying that the gig i played this week had the most dj unfriendly setup ever and was dissapointing especially carrying a whole bag of vinyl and getting told by some brostep slapper to play some unreleased tune of youtube or fuck off...

Sad state of affairs