Wellyfail.

Grind

I was sure this was a piss-take when people were talking about this sign a few months back... but now it turns out they're actually doing it...WTF?

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5035147/Wellywood-sign-to-go-ahead

"I think personally it is quite crass and it's going to downgrade the overall perception of Wellington as a sophisticated city."

Couldn't agree more...if you give a shit then join the Facebook page (not that it will probably change anything).

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wellingtonians-Against-the-Wellywood-Sign/186318884753869

Like the council doesn't have better things to spend their money on?

If it just said Wellington I'd still laugh at how tragic the idea is. Get your own concept ffs

Think it's the airport not the council actually.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10728129

Councillors: rethink Wellywood

The majority of Wellington City councillors have come out against the controversial Wellywood sign.

They've voted overwhelmingly to ask the airport company to reconsider its decision.

Councillor Paul Eagle understands the airport company doesn't have building consent to put the sign up.

He's hopeful that means the airport boss Steve Fitzgerald will view this as the chance to back down.

"I don't think the issues going to go away in a hurry so he';s going to have a PR nightmare.

"He's in the business of transport - getting people into Wellington and that's really important but I wouldn't, for his sake, want this unnecessary issue hanging over him all the time," he says.

Mr Eagle believes around 90 per cent of Wellington residents are against the sign.

- Newstalk ZB

Well, it's all go. The whole arrogance of this thing frustrates the fuck out of me.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5076388/Its-all-go-on-Wellywood-hill

Workers sporting bright orange safety vests have appeared on the hill beside the Miramar Cutting as work to erect the controversial Wellywood sign begins.

But those opposed to the sign are not giving up, with another drive-by protest planned at the airport tomorrow.

Workers were abseiling on the hillside yesterday, as survey work to mark out positions for the 3.5-metre-high letters began.

The work comes as Wellington International Airport, which is erecting the sign to promote Wellington's film industry, remains determined to build it, despite calls for the plan to be ditched.

The airport came under fire after it said it was going ahead with the sign last week. Protests were organised, and Wellington City Council joined the debate, writing to the airport requesting that it reconsider the sign.

But the airport has ignored the protests, saying it was "standing strong" behind its plans.

Airport spokeswoman Kat Lintott said yesterday that the airport's position had not changed. She refused to comment further on the matter, saying there was nothing new to report.

The airport was still considering its response to the council's letter, she said.

Andy Boreham, who is organising tomorrow's drive-by protest around the drop-off zone, said he was disappointed the airport seemed determined to go ahead with the sign.

In last week's protest, up to 100 cars clogged traffic in and out of the airport for an hour. Mr Boreham said tomorrow's should be "bigger and stronger" and would last for two hours, starting at 6pm. A similar protest planned for last night was canned after it appeared the airport might back down, he said.

"We offered a huge amount of good faith to Wellington Airport by suspending protest action. Our friendly gesture appears to have fallen on deaf ears."

Film director Gaylene Preston will again join the protest tomorrow. She said the sign was not "innovative, cool or in any way represents what I think I've been involved in for the last 33 years".

How is this meant to promote the film industry??

We have some of teh greatest minds working around the corner from this blatant rip off (Weta FX) Why not get them to do something way more creative (Like the tripod in Courtenay place or something) FFS