Ear Bashing

Madz

I'm sure you all suffer from SMAT-deafness (Sunday, Monday And Tuesday) too post-event. I'm sure club owners try to get levels right and that people will complain no matter what - Too loud! Too quiet! Not enough Bass! Etc - I'm not having a go at owners, I just wanna know if anyone can reccomend a specific type of earplug? Do some work better than others?

you really want some professional earplugs similar to these ones if your going to get any at all

Plugs

This style of earplug reduces the sound evenly, allowing you to hear the full range of sound without it busting your drums.

Not sure where to get ear plugs like these in auckland.. suggestions?

we had a bit of discussion on this topic already. take a read! I usually wear ear plugs but have forgotten the last couple of gigs :-/

see this thread

I think you can get ER-20's or similar from the rock-shop for like $40-$50 or something. They are a lot better than the foam ones! They don't really have a flat frequency response though pakage. If you want flat(ish) frequency response you need to fork out a few hundy for custom fitted ones (take a browse on the Etymotic Research page

When I got mine I just ordered 5 pairs from a distributor in the US and they ended up as being like $25/each including shipping (the shipping is the most expensive). Thats the best way - get 4 other mates interested and order them from the US.

Where did you get your ones from NATO? and how much were they?

Since the volume at each frequency you hear changes due to plenty of factors:

Your distance/position to the speakers

The levels (mixer, amps, eqs, the track(s) playing)

Your ability to hear certain frequencies better then others (IE... already partially deaf).

I would say that purchasing a earphone that gives you a more 'even muffle' isn't going to mean that it sounds better than other plugs in all cases.

I find the high frequencies more damaging/annoying, plus the receptors in your ear which pickup sound are more easily damaged the higher the frequency they pick up. If given the option I would filter them out more.

I'd personally go for some cheaper ones and lookout for something comfortable and practical... if they don't feel or sound good remember what ones you bought and buy different ones.

Open to debate*

/2cents

*edited

Edited by Guest

I'd debate you cause your reasoning is misguided but I really dont have time. ER-20's or equivalent are the way to go IMO. Foam ear plugs are shite, if you can get the ones that are similar looking to the ER-20's but don't have the resonator sticking out of them they are a lot cheaper (I got mine for free from an airport at the airforce) and are pretty similar in terms of sound and comfort to the ER-20's to tell you the truth.

In fact, you can have them if you want them cause I have ER-20's now (you just wash them with hot water after each use)

wouldnt they block out too much sound, so as to take away from the atmosphere/experience of the gig

see the thread I linked to for my thoughts on this

they do take a little bit out of it but protecting your hearing is sooo worth it. I will usually wear earplugs in and out of rotation for about half the gig. When the DJ plays something off the hook I always take them out.

The only problem is that they (the ER-20's) can be really fucking hard to put in. Again read my posts in that thread I linked to

Ear plugs are ghey

So is spending the first half of the week saying

- "Oh sorry, are you talking to me?"

word!

My ears are pretty pwnd eh.. too much metal in my headphones when i was a kid.. then blaring dnb all the time.. I also had a big fuck off firework fully explode in my face a few new years ago.. i think it might be time i got some plugs.. or maybe my fucked ears are past the point of worrying about....

/me doesnt plan on living till he's 80 anywayz.

a wise man once said

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy Shit!! What a Ride!!"

"Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting...Holy Shit!! What a Ride!!"

good quote pAKAGe.... a lesson for us all

Worthy investment for sure, not that I can talk, I haven't been arsed getting some yet

Anyone else hear that researchers are predicting a mass epidemic of hearing loss for the iPod generation?

Listening to music through earphones everyday has longer-lasting damage than going to the odd rock concert or dance party.. and in clubs, worse than the actual music frequencies is peoples voices.. you know how people shout in your ear really fucken loud on the dancefloor? That's the worst possible thing for your ears..

You're not wrong... across the range of people suffering from hearing loss, the ability to percieve sound in the higher frequency ranges is found to become impared more often and sooner than lower frequency's (See my other post)

"High noise levels damage the hair cells of the organ of Corti, affecting first those in the basal part of the cochlea concerned with reception of the higher frequency sounds(though not necessarily the highest) and progressing through to those receiving lower frequencies. This is reflected in audiometric changes which show loss of sound perception first in the 4-5 kilohertz (kHz) range, progressing both in severity and into lower frequency ranges."

http://www.agius.com/hew/resource/nihl.htm

been thinking bout picking some up for a while but im the king of procrastination. my hearing has without a doubt got worse since i started attending gigs regularly. quite keen for a hearing test as well so i know the damage.

Seriously man, if your hearing is fucked half way through the next week you need to change whatever venue youre going to - the sound systems fucked.

Good sound system set up correctly doesnt do that.

After a night out being by the speakers i do get a ringing in my ears the morning i get home - half way through the day after the night out - the ringing has gone, and my hearing is back to normal. It might not be as great as it usually is, but its not to the point where i would be concerned.

There have been cases where i have been a little concerned about the bashing my ears got - in these cases the treble has been way too high - galatos is guilty of this sometimes.

But yeah ear plugs personally aint my thing, i like to let the music get into me and earplugs wouldnt feel right - to me its kinda like moving into an apartment below a night club then complaining about the noise.

I can understand though if you are at a nightclub to work - wearing them . Otherwise, they are ghey - IMO

I usually forget to bring mine but not tonight! I truly think it is nicer feeling the music, yet not getting sore ears from the volume. Although I have the full on frankenstein sticking out ones so it looks rude as fuck.

Hey, I'd rather keep my hearing than look back in 10 years and kick myself for being too cool for earplugs, and we all know I'm barely cool enough as it is.

*somebodies cue to take that out of context and quote it in their sig.