Clothing Recycling

Pakage

Anyone know where one of those clothing bins are around town? There used to be heaps of them but i have no idea where they've all gone. I have a bunch of old clothes that i need to get rid of and thought i may as well try recycle them rather than just chuck them away.

I found this once before when tryna figure out where they have gone:

Ooo, I know this one! Having set up an op shop for a charity and dealing with this issue I know only too well what happens to these clothes! None get turned into rags btw. They are actually very dodgy and oh so clever with their marketing to make it look as if they give a lot to chairty. In fact, a lot of ppl actually think all the money goes to child cancer as that's who they donate to once a year.

What happens is the all the clothes go to Savemart who are NOT a charity, they are a profitable business with paid staff and one head honcho who gets massive amounts of money working under a guise of "we give to charity". At the end of the financial year they give a very small amount to charity (like 5% or something, give or take a bit). They advertise in large writing skewed stats made to look as if they have given loads to child cancer etc when really they take a sum over a few years or one year when they did REALLY well. There are tons more businesses that give far more to child cancer than Savemart who have used that as a huge marketing ploy to fill their own pockets.

The reason I am so harsh on them is that we used to get lots o ppl donate clothing to those bins and they would come in to our hospice shop and say they'd done something so good by donating the clothing to the Child Cancer Society (not knowing a tiny % actually went to them and on the most part it went into some guys pocket).

Of course The Child Cancer Foundation needs everything they can get so aren't going to turn it down, and why should they. But it's such a dodgy way of doing business.

The Textile Clothing Company comes and takes the stuff away. They are deliberately called a different name but it's delivered straight to Savemart stores, another way to make it look less dodgy.

They have actually been on some current affairs programme from what I was told by and old colleague in fundraising, like 60 mins or something as others found out how dodgy they were and kicked up a fuss. But they continue to get away with it and it makes me mad when other charities dip out due to ppl thinking they're doing the right thing.

If you really want to help out, give to the Sallies, The Hospice Shops, City Mission, etc.

Check this thread if you wish to know more

http://www2.everybody.co.nz/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=30&Number=1020671&Searchpage=1&Main=27293&Words=&topic=2&Search=true