Android

Pakage

Thought id start a thread on here where all you android users can post up any cool games, apps, wallpapers etc that you feel like sharing.

Just found this app which is pretty dope really: AirDroid

For those who spend a lot of time looking at a computer, and can't be bothered to look at their phone very often, Sand Studio has introduced AirDroid, an app that allows users to control their Android Phone from a computer via WiFi.

So you just start it up and connect to the wifi, then you can send and recieve text messages, access your photos and contacts through a pretty slick web interface.

Check it out.

• 3 weeks later...
Thought id start a thread on here where all you android users can post up any cool games, apps, wallpapers etc that you feel like sharing.

Just found this app which is pretty dope really: AirDroid

For those who spend a lot of time looking at a computer, and can't be bothered to look at their phone very often, Sand Studio has introduced AirDroid, an app that allows users to control their Android Phone from a computer via WiFi.

So you just start it up and connect to the wifi, then you can send and recieve text messages, access your photos and contacts through a pretty slick web interface.

Check it out.

Been looking for an app to do this... I bought some shitty app called "AndroidPC" which didn't even work.

Nice find!

• 3 weeks later...

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.csipsimple&hl=en

CSipSimple

This is fuckin sweet, it turns my cell phone into a portable land line through the wireless when im at home, or it can even run over the 3g when im out and about! Free calling to and from my mobile to any land line in the country!

You need to have a VOIP line to use it, i have recently got naked DSL and a VOIP line instead of a land line and this is just perfect.

It also integrates with your regular phonebook / calling system, so when you're browsing your contacts and want to dial, you just choose to dial through your regular or this one.

• 1 month later...
according to the article, ubuntu and android share the same kernel, so it would be relatively efficient to run both in parallel. Plus phones these days are getting so damn powerful they're practically hand held laptops.

All Linux is basically the same kernel though innit?

Interesting though because I thought Android was a BSD based thing for some reason?

• 3 weeks later...

-gTPZsxjHrZA4wD59Sz9n2wSmx3iyPK4Ncu8opYXoUiyMeBhSoy-Huk6oha5dyXqYs4=w705

Easily a must have for anyone with a Tablet... but suprisingly I've found myself reading a lot on the phone these days. It's really handy because it saves what page you are up to across any device... so you pickup your phone/tablet and it's right where you left off.

Recently jumped on the android bandwagon, and found this app called tasker. It's not free, but well worth the price IMO (note, it's cheaper when you buy direct from developer). The first thing I did was automate the auto-rotate feature so that I can have it normally off, but on for gallery and movies etc. It drives me completely mental. Post any automations you find useful here please!

Automate everything from settings to photos, SMS to speech. ADC2 prize winner.

Total Automation, from settings to SMS. ADC2 finalist!

* Triggers: App, Time, Day, Location, Hard/Soft State, Event, Shortcut, Widget, Timer, Plugins

* Actions: 200+ built-in, plugin support

* Tasks: loops, variables, conditions

* Scenes: design your own screen overlays, dialogs even simple apps

three new things I've done with tasker:

• increase the screen timeout to 10minutes when I'm using maps or navigation

reason: very frustrating when the screen (and GPS!) keep turning off every 30s when you're trying to use the GPS

• turn off silent mode when I'm in range of my home wifi

reason: have silent mode on in office and on train; sometimes forget to turn off (annoying because alarms don't sound etc)

• display a custom popup window when I get new MMS mail with a button to ignore or open mail app

reason: default notification is just tiny icon in status bar which is easy to miss.

Gmote turns Android into a remote control for a computer, allowing users to run movies and music at a distance. It supports all of the standard remote control features such as play, pause, rewind, volume controls etc. It also has a built-in file browser that lets you select what to play.

This app is so sick... open source too. It uses vlc as the media player which is fairly average for HD, but it also has a touchpad option which lets you use your android touchscreen as a mouse/keyboard, so you can just use that when vlc is not good enough.

There is another app MPC&VLC Remote which works with media player classic which seems pretty good too and works without installing anything on your PC. No touchpad though.

the one that i use is called "unified remote" and its pretty sweet. One of the main things that i like about it is the shut down remote. When ive finished watching a movie in bed, i can shut down the computer without getting up. Been wanting to be able to do that for literally years.

Its got a shit tonne of features and remotes, even on the free version:

http://www.unifiedremote.com/features

A++

Cheers Pakage, unified remote blows everything else out of the water. After I figured out how to add favorite folders to/show file extensions in the file manager, and setup custom remotes for starting my favorite apps I'm really really liking the app.

The only thing that I'm missing is an interface to a media browser so that I can play whole folders. On the PC I normally either drag and drop folders from explorer onto a winamp playlist, or search in the winamp media browser, but neither of these seem to be possible with the remote apps I've used without resorting to touchpad control.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Installed the trial of Tasker today. So far the only thing ive setup is to:

Silence & Stop Vibration for Notifications between 10pm and 7am Sunday - Thursday.

it pisses me off when im trying to get to sleep and my phone is beeping receiving emails..