Android

Pakage

I just got the Galaxy S III and it has facial recognition. So, if i havent touched the screen in a while (maybe reading an article or something) and it hits the screen timeout timer, if it detects a face on the front facing camera it wont lock the screen. Im pretty sure that my maps/navigation dont screen lock while im in them, could be wrong though, ill check it out for sure.

• 1 month later...

This is by far the safest and easiest way to root your phone if you have Ice Cream Sandwich. It took a couple of minutes on my Galaxy S2 with absolutely no problems. First thing I did was install titanium backup (pro) and freeze all of the bloatware from my vendor (Docomo). That reduced my RAM usage from > 800MB to ~300MB.

[GUIDE] ROOT/UNROOT Stock ICS Firmware without flashing unsecure kernel - xda-developers

Just got an android phone yesterday. Cheap Huawei G300. Not a bad phone, and should be updated to the newest version of Android within the next few weeks or so.

Since I'm running Ubuntu, the phone sync sounds like a wicked idea

This is by far the safest and easiest way to root your phone if you have Ice Cream Sandwich. It took a couple of minutes on my Galaxy S2 with absolutely no problems. First thing I did was install titanium backup (pro) and freeze all of the bloatware from my vendor (Docomo). That reduced my RAM usage from > 800MB to ~300MB.

[GUIDE] ROOT/UNROOT Stock ICS Firmware without flashing unsecure kernel - xda-developers

Any idea if this would work with the S III ?

yeah its on the external. haha okay ill try that. not sure what else to try.

The CWM.zip that's on the first link there is not just a zipped img file though. Its install files and shit i think. ill try it though!

Using an app called android system info, or any task manager really, you can sort the processes by RAM usage and see what is still clogging it up. There may well be a bunch of crap still there from your carrier as opposed to Samsung and Google. Or it might just be getting eaten up by apps that you've installed, in which case consider uninstalling anything you don't need. At the end of the day though, if you start running out of RAM then android will kill all of those non-critical tasks, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Another cool app for rooted phones is AdFree Android.