External Sound Cards - Help!

Known One

Can someone recommend an External Sound card for use as a music enthusiast?

I'm not looking to do any production at all... just want something to give me an eargasm . Just got some Sennheiser HD600's and need something to power em.

I would say the $300 area is the max I'd spend.

I'm preferrably wanting something thats readily available in NZ,

Cheers y'all

The Edirol UA25 is pretty damn good. Do some research on it the stats are well wicked. And it is very cheap to. Rockshop has them on special at the moment.

ez

This is an extrenal card and its stats are a little better than most m-audio

Edited by Guest

If your after a top quality sound you realy want to get an external sound card to eliminate the amplification of the vibrations from your computer's fans/hard drives.

If you want it only for playback you should just get something simple with a headphone amp on it.

Something like the "Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX External USB Sound Card" would be your most basic option.

More info at: http://www.adamant.com/ItemInfo_sb0490.asp?GotoID=ITEM&PrdAbr=SCCL-SB0490&menu=PARTS

The "C-Media 7.1-Channel 3D USB External Sound Pocket", the "USB Sound Blaster Live 24-bit External" or the "FireWire Audiophile is a compact, FireWire-compatible audio/MIDI interface" are some slightly more advanced options.

They had/ have 'Creative' Cards at MAINZ and I really didnt like them.. Designed for gamers, Emu is thier Audio Range if you must get thier shit..

I suggested the PCI Card as as way of keeping within budget.. Not that I have or would prob buy one myself, Although the 1010LT's are badbwoy for the price.. Im leaning towards a M-Audio Firewire 410 as shown in the 'what you are/ what you want to be using' Producer thread..

+ Heres a link to Carnage's suggested 'box':

Link

One disadvantage could be the USB interface if you prefer to have Firewire..

The FA-66 looks to be the Firewire version:

Link

Most likely a little pricier tho..

M-Audio site seems to be down so couldnt find thier mid-range Firewire options.. Worthwhile considering/ trialling a few options in the shop or whatever if you can to find the 'box' that suits you best..

*Well if theres no PCI-Card its not a card anymore is it?

+ Heres a link to Carnage's suggested 'box':

Link

One disadvantage could be the USB interface if you prefer to have Firewire..

The FA-66 looks to be the Firewire version:

Link

Most likely a little pricier tho..

M-Audio site seems to be down so couldnt find thier mid-range Firewire options.. Worthwhile considering/ trialling a few options in the shop or whatever if you can to find the 'box' that suits you best..

*Well if theres no PCI-Card its not a card anymore is it?

Yeah bro, the 410 firewire is $400 more, and i did some research and came back with some people saying they get popping noises from them. Guess its just a trial and error thing though. The spec's between the two are pretty much the same.