What do you like to hear on the Dancefloor?

Future One

I've been thinking lately about the kind of dnb people are playing in the clubs at the moment as the style of music played out definatly changes over time and certain trends come and go.

On one end of the spectrum there are the big tunes, great to let rip to on the dance floor, while at the other end is the deeper more melodic and musical style of drum n bass which doesnt amp a crowd as much.

Although DJs have to tread the line of playing what they like to hear versus whats going to work for a dancefloor situation, I think as a whole DJs need to take more risks as far as tune selection goes... at the least it would help develop a trend towards people pushing boundaries and getting different sounds out there.

So the question is, do you like to hear a set full of dancefloor smashers or one that is deep and takes you on a musical journey, or maybe a mixture of both?

Definitely depends on my mood. I love a set which takes me on a journey through the deeper sounds of drum and bass, something which you can really get a vibe on and just max out too in your own little world. Other times I just want to hear massive club slammers/dancefloor tech. The former is definitely preferred.

So the question is, do you like to hear a set full of dancefloor smashers or one that is deep and takes you on a musical journey, or maybe a mixture of both?

I'd have to go with a good mixture.. if those were the only two choices I'd have to go for the smashers..

Take for example Shapeshifter on Saturday.. there were times when the music was so deep and intense it was difficult to dance because I was appriciating it so much..

On the flip-side some of the more epic dance floor smashers get old really fast.. I guess it's then up to the DJ to make it interesting.

What do you like to hear on the Dancefloor?

- Two vocal tunes delicately mixed together

- A good MC who can articulate properly

- Anything vocal mixed over anything complex

- Fast scratching over a techy tune

- Advanced Mixing (Extreme usage of the Crossfader and EQ's)

It sounds as if you're more interested in a discussion about track selection.. I'd have to go with Drum & Bass above all else

I like to hear a mix of deep tech rollers, neurofunk, and older classic tech tunes, a little ragga jungle styles and maybe some darker liquid tunes on the side can be refreshing too. Exact proportions vary depending on the mood of course. I don't really like much jump-up or that happy clappy airy fairy touchy feely liquid rubbish - but I guess they both have a time and place.

I like to be dropped deep into the mix I wanna hear more intalex, more jmajik, , then some slamming techy numbers, the faster and more chaotic the better, then rolling out to the DARKNESS, more raiden, current value tech itch gein evol intent styles for me, I wanna b challanged by the mix I want it to pick me up throw me around then dropped deeeeeeep into the minimal tech, then dragged kicking and screaming into the depths of the darkest recesses of drum and bass and then bought into the light with liquid, I wanna hear it all, I wanna see djs pushing the genres within the genre, and then I wanna see them dropping other shit, IE tech house and house and breaks and hip hop, Fuck!! sample records I dont care I just wnt to be challanged ,,, I wanna hit the floor and not leave,,, and once I leave I wanna be soooo blown away that I will talk about that set fer days to come, ,,,

is that asking to much?

for me it would depend what slot im playing.

If/when I start playing out live I know im going to be in the warmup/play shit and get them to leave already (graveyard) set.

For warmup you can play all the weird and fucked up shit that you know wont get the floor moving, but is still cool. Id probably start liquid, go deep, then before the next dj start playing some older big tunes, some tech and jump-up. No point playing anything fresh if you have the same style as the next dj as he is probably going to repeat your tunes (bad for the floor).

For the headline set hell, bust out all the big tunes people want to hear, and every few tunes slip into something to give them an education. If they start departing en-mass then its back to the big guns. If they like it then push it for a bit then ease them back into more dancefloor tunes.

As for what Id like to hear (the point of this thread), anything funky/breakbeat as long as the mixing is tight. All styles welcome if it flows right.

I like to be dropped deep into the mix I wanna hear more intalex, more jmajik, , then some slamming techy numbers, the faster and more chaotic the better, then rolling out to the DARKNESS, more raiden, current value tech itch gein evol intent styles for me, I wanna b challanged by the mix I want it to pick me up throw me around then dropped deeeeeeep into the minimal tech, then dragged kicking and screaming into the depths of the darkest recesses of drum and bass and then bought into the light with liquid, I wanna hear it all, I wanna see djs pushing the genres within the genre, and then I wanna see them dropping other shit, IE tech house and house and breaks and hip hop, Fuck!! sample records I dont care I just wnt to be challanged ,,, I wanna hit the floor and not leave,,, and once I leave I wanna be soooo blown away that I will talk about that set fer days to come, ,,,

is that asking to much?

sounds like a good set

Ok I don't know technical words for all the different types of music but when I got in to a club I want to hear dirty dark techy music dirtier the better

I like listening to the more melodic liquid music but when I am home chilling out.

but again I don't know a hell of a lot about the different types of music

is that asking to much?

All of this plus some Paradox, Amit, Fanu and more drumfunk.

And Rick James.

is that asking to much?

All of this plus some Paradox, Amit, Fanu and more drumfunk.

And Rick James.

hahahahahahaha

nice!