The Horror of Workplace 'Social' Events

Madz

waa waa waa... my work made me stop working and get on the piss... waa waa waa

granted u were sick... but come on.

I can't believe you just waa waa'd me. Actual lol.

Misinformation about the horrific results of combining Coldrex and alcohol was putting a damper on things. Grind set me straight and much lushing followed.

Strangely enough I think I might be getting better... Maybe the alcohol killed some of the germs? Granted I still feel like absolute shit, but it's the Jesus-God-why-am-I-such-a-booze-hound? shittiness (which I'm well used to and can totally deal with) rather than Bio-hazard/Sicker-than-the-proverbial-canine.

Hang on... You're an intern? Now that either means you're volunteering to work there or you are paying them to train there right?. Its not actually what you for a living, so theoretically your not a "Staff Memeber"??

That kind of makes it worse when they force you to come to a so called "social event" when you're not even a staff member (You aren't are you?), you shouldn't have to take part in staff affairs, but on the other hand the fact that they made you come, must mean they consider you a part of the team, maybe they even like your company. I dunno, I'm not sure whether thats a good or bad thing, guess it really comes down how you feel.

good thread madz! loved the sylvia plath reference haha..

IMO the job defines the workplace party. if i have a trace of enjoyment in my job, a tad of respect for my workmates, AND if there's tons of free alcohol, i will attend the party..

i take it you work in the media?? in my experience media parties are kickass. oh wait, you don't work at PRIME do you? :|

good thread madz! loved the sylvia plath reference haha..

IMO the job defines the workplace party. if i have a trace of enjoyment in my job, a tad of respect for my workmates, AND if there's tons of free alcohol, i will attend the party..

i take it you work in the media?? in my experience media parties are kickass. oh wait, you don't work at PRIME do you? :|

I just finished reading the Bell Jar...

Media parties often DO kickass. Best one I ever attended led to jelly wrestling with Fleur Saville and Oliver Driver (among others) wearing a super woman outfit in the lounge of a villa somewhere in Grey Lynn. That one rocked.

If the aforementioned event had included the media crews it'd have been mint. But as it was it was only for the station staff, like the gear and maintenance people, the receptionists, the admin people, the lawyers, me (as one of the BTTs).

However, none of the News or Visual Appetite crews were there, none of the other interns (my usual partners in crime ), no one fun or interesting. Ha, except me, of course

Yeah media parties have the same reputation as advertising industry parties.. they both follow the whole 'work hard, party hard' ethos I suppose..

It sucks that there's actually nobody there that you can handle talking to, but with all due respect you are still an intern, so will probably just have to grin and bear it for the time being. That's what interns do, right?

From the company perspective an intern treads a fine line between being a liability and an investment.. what you really want out of an internship (if not a kickass promotion) is a glowing reference, including, but not limited to, your piss-sinking abilities.

I will get a glowing reference, because I'm me. Wayne loves me because I'm his bitch. A refulgent character reference and my big green eyes are not, however, what I want my next employment contract to be based on, cue my kickass showreel. My work should and does speak for itself.

I apologise for having been such a whiny little bitch this week.

Well... You or anyone can go ahead and not accept the apology, but it'd be your funeral. Last I checked headkicks are pretty vicious, even more so from week long whiny little bitches Believe me, they freaking hurt like fuck.

I don't think an apology is neccesary. I enjoyed this topic and I am ever so much more thankful now that I haven't been to a social event with workmates. Besides, venting is a great excuse to get shit off your chest and let other people a)Stir the pot. or b) Give you shit for it.